19 December 2010

Dr. Oz recommends baby steps?


Charleston, S.C.

One of the things I like best about Charleston is that it is a walking town. Walking is the most practical form of transportation on the peninsula which isn't more than a couple of miles across at it's widest and there is always something new to see, some new alley to explore or secret garden to peak into.

I walk to get places and I walk fast. My legs get restless and dull feeling if I skip more than a day or two. It's always a happy relief for me to walk with someone who can match my stride. I walk about three miles most nights, often quite late and on weekend mornings I lallygag, stopping to take pictures and do my errands.

Dr. Oz' columns sometimes catch my eye since he seems to give practical advice so I clicked on his recent one about walking and was flabbergasted. His latest advice? Instant Weight Loss: Take Smaller Steps.

According to Dr. Oz: Here’s why: All walkers, no matter their height, use the same amount of energy per stride. But short people (including kids) have to take more strides more quickly to cover the same distance at the same speed as tall people. Simple math: More strides equal more calories.

Meaning, if you just take smaller steps but walk your usual distance in your usual time, you’ll burn more calories. To burn even more, break up those little steps with occasional bursts of skipping. More calories will go up in smoke, and you’ll feel like a kid again. (Come on, when’s the last time you skipped?)

Last tip: Get a pedometer, and aim to walk 10,000 steps a day, the amount it takes to be considered active. Make ‘em short steps, and you’ll soon be considered slim, too.


Huh? This seems like the craziest advice to me. He claims we should take tiny, steps to burn more calories. Don't worry about actually getting anywhere, don't walk for the pure pleasure of it, don't hope for the benefit of aerobic exercise, don't enjoy a natural brisk stride. Make yourself take tiny little mincing steps.

I can't imagine anyone is going to keep up that for long term exercise. Does this make sense to anyone?

15 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

At 5'9" with size 10 feet, teensy steps aren't happening any time soon here! Glad to see 10 thou is back to active - we were all aiming for 10,000 steps a day at the job (well, all day and evening) and thrilled when we hit it only to read recently that 10,000 wasn't enough activity. Glad Dr. Oz back in our corner at least on that point.

Charlestonjoan said...

10,000 is very hard for people with long strides. It is a lot of territory to cover. It makes more sense for the tiny step crowd I think.

Jack said...

It actually makes a lot of sense to me. I am 6'6" and have worn a pedometer daily for about five years. For me, 10,000 steps a day is about five miles. If I take smaller steps, I sweat more, suggesting more exertion.

Waldo Lydecker's Journal said...

In the Upstate, taking lots of mincing steps will just get you beat up for seeming gay. I'll stick to long strides, thanks very much.

In a pinch I'll add some time to my walk to make up the diff.

Commander Zaius said...

I'm Jack's height but I have a hard time taking small strides. I did noticed back when my kids were very small and we went out for walks I was more exhausted afterward keeping pace with them than when I walked the same distance alone.

Charlestonjoan said...

This is a tall crowd!

Jack - Five miles a day is a lot for the average person isn't it? I have a hard time getting 10,000 because of my long strides.

Waldo - Funny :) That's what I'd rather do - walk further and enjoy it.

Beach Bum - I had no idea you were that tall! One of the hardest things about having little kids was never being able to take a brisk stride.

Anonymous said...

On leaving Tony I found I was heavier than I wanted to be and went and saw a doctor who prescribed I walk 5 miles a day EVERY day. it works. That was 1 August and I am 26 kilos lighter. As for mincing steps..pshawwwwww. I also find that walking helps balance me. Internally and outside. I love the little glimpsed into other lives also.

Charlestonjoan said...

maggsworld - Amen and congratulations! I grew up walking long distances but started back when I was going through a bad time as well. I pounded all of my problems into the pavement.

Funny, I used to walk round and round a lake here at that time and I never walk that route anymore. I think I associate it with a negative time.

Laura said...

They always need to come up with something new for us to do.
I think that as long as we are out and moving... that's good. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Samuel Bebee said...

I think it's a case of 'yes, but no...' You can also lose weight and build your jaw muscles by chewing each bite of food 1000 times!

Charlestonjoan said...

Sunshine - You are correct, every day a new study!

James Jacks - Ha! True :)

Jack said...

The 10,000 steps target is actually the American Heart Association's daily target. I find that if I don't do anything special, I only get about 4,000 steps a day, so to hit the 10,000 steps target I need to take some long walks or get on a treadmill.

Pixel Peeper said...

Smaller steps? Makes perfect sense to me. You know all those little tiny steps taken bei geishas?

Think about it. I've never seen a fat geisha.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jack - Same with me. I have to do some serious walking to get 10,000. There is a big variation in cheapo pedometers though. I did 18,000 the day I went to Bulls Island and walked to Boneyard Beach. I was so tickled I took a picture of the pedometer.

Pixel - That is exactly what I picture when I think of deliberately small steps! Geisha walking.

john prince said...

Great landscape photos, Joan. I love 'em.