23 October 2010

Love my weekends, I do


King St., Charleston, S.C.

What a lovely sunny day! Everyone is outside. Girls in bathing suits are laying in Marion Square, I had to dodge boys carrying surf boards on King Street and hop over skateboards laying on the sidewalks.

I've been invited to a cookout this evening and slipped up and offered to make dessert. What was I thinking? My day to day life at home is so simple now, I barely cook anymore and my oven hasn't been turned on all summer.

My policy is not to skimp with dessert so I experimented with a Tres Leche Cake and I've tried this one from Coastal Living magazine: Tres Leches Boston Cream Cake. Wowza! You can't really go wrong with condensed milk, can you?

In the good news category, the students who rent behind my house played a prank today and saran wrapped a car. I could hear them laughing and taking pictures. Definitely an improvement from last year's crop who liked to break through my fence and vandalize my yard. This is good!

5 comments:

KIT said...

That Tres Leches Boston Cream Cake sounds wonderful, and not too hard.

I'm glad your neighbors are better behaved this year. It's a real drag to have your yard vandalized. Some people can be so thoughtless.

Charlestonjoan said...

Heya Kit! Thanks for stopping by. Hope all is well with you and yours. The cake turned out very well. My host was happy to keep the leftovers.

Annie said...

Tres Leches is my all-time favorite dessert! I fell in love with it at a little old Cuban restaurant in Florida. Yummmmmmmmmmmm. Wonderful memeories. How nice you are to take something so special!

Charlestonjoan said...

It was good! The recipe is a keeper. In this case it has chocolate on top. Most of them have more whipped cream. I think this works well. Yummers. I will make it again but I need a tray that fits a sheet cake. I had to take it in the pan which doesn't look as attractive.

Marcheline said...

What, Joan, haven't you heard? A good layer of Saran Wrap will keep your paint job fresh for ages! 8-)