08 August 2010

Mansfield Plantation


Mansfield Plantation, Georgetown, S.C.

Mansfield Plantation is a dreamy piece of property on the marsh of the Black River above Georgetown. I liked the fact that it had returned into the hands of a descendant of the original owners who operates it as a Bed & Breakfast. No worries - this is not one of the B & B cottages but one of the many decaying cabins on the property.

Mansfield Plantation:In 1718, a 500 acre plot of land was granted to a family on the outskirts of the bustling new village of Georgetown, South Carolina. Construction began on the main house fifty years later, and soon after Mansfield Plantation blossomed into one of the largest rice plantations in South Carolina.

Today, Mansfield Plantation covers nearly 1,000 acres and is recognized as "one of the most architecturally intact rice plantation in South Carolina." It is a member of the National Register of Historic Places and is now owned and operated by the descendant of the original Parker family owners, John Rutledge Parker and his wife Sallie Middleton, jr.

3 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

I went ther years ago but don't remember very much of the place, will have to stop by again when I go home.

Charlestonjoan said...

I was amazed....there were so many of these cabins. They are working on repairing them and an old school house.

MrScribbler said...

You had me all ready to go, Joan, until you implied I couldn't book a Decaying Cabin for my vacation.

I've paid a lot more for holiday lodgings, and have gotten a lot less.