27 July 2010

Eat More Curry


Statue, Charleston, S.C.

I walked the streets named after women on Sunday morning - Charlotte, Judith, Mary, Elizabeth and stuck the camera through a fence to get this picture. I believe it was Charlotte and Alexander.

I was home a little early today to meet Greg from Terminex for my annual pest treatment to the house (well worth every penny) and had the tv on at an unusual time for me. Dr. Oz was talking about Alzheimer's - current thinking about this dreadful disease and what we might do to prevent it.

Besides physical activity and a health diet, the thing that might actually make a difference? Eating curry. He recommended eating curry twice a week. Once again, I waited long enough for research to come up with something I like. More curry!

Dr. Oz - Eat Curry to Prevent Alzheimer's: At the very end of the segment, Dr Oz said that one of the best ways to ward off Alzheimer's is to eat curry. He suggested that everyone eat two servings of curry each week.

9 comments:

JanetLee said...

Oh! I'm going to print this out for the next time Jason tells me he is "all curried out".

Anonymous said...

I gotta vote for Charlotte Street:) and yessiree, curry for me.

Commander Zaius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Commander Zaius said...

Sometimes I am seriously amazed at how modern life often conspires against physical activity and a health diet. This summer I have caught the devil playing dad taxi for my kids.

I have a buddy who is married but has no children, likes to throw out the phrase, "you have to make time" about exercise and doing healthy stuff.

Drives me crazy, but I do like curry.

Charlestonjoan said...

Beach Bum - One of the most depressing recent studies was on women and middle age. Without cutting back on a reasonable diet, women had to exercise a full hour every day or they gained weight. That makes it feel hopeless. Who has a full hour every single day?

Charlestonjoan said...

Janet - I haven't been to Taste of India for too long! I am overdue some curry.

Charlotte - I am pretty sure it was Charlotte St.!

Namrata said...

Nice to know that curry keeps your mind ticking(esp., since for us from the orient,curries are part of our staple diets).But I think it is not curry per se; which keeps you going but the herbs and spices which flavour it.In N-E India,it's the herbs which mostly keep people fit.In mainland India its mainly spices.The number of herbs and spices is lots.I stick to about 5 of each.Personally I have more faith on the prescription of your blog dated July 11th(Exercise,Tea & Vitamin D).I believe tea to be "a healthy addiction,a harmless vice" as seen in the Tea Shop of Dolly Roy,a Tea-Taster who calls herself a "tea-total"person.When I worked in Kolkata,sipping her variety of plain and flavoured brewed tea, had become a habit in her tiny teashop in South Kolkata.I still do whenever I'm there.

Christina said...

Hi Joan! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love that you're a fan of Mustard Seed too. What's your favorite meal?

You have some great pictures on your blog. Keep up the good work :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Mustard Seed - love the crab cakes, roasted corn chowder, the mushroom salad. Yum. I tend to get there for weekend lunches more than dinner.