10 May 2010

Confederate Memorial Day


Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, S.C.

Seems like today should have been a holiday in South Carolina.

I didn't get up to Magnolia Cemetery today but I expect there are fresh flags flying over the tombs of Confederate soldiers since it is Confederate Memorial Day. The pictures below are from the tombs of the Hunley submariners.
Confederate Memorial Day is an state holiday in some states in the United States. It gives people a chance to honor and remember the Confederate soldiers who died or were wounded during the American Civil War during the 1860s.


2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Its really funny for me since I am the only member of my family that could not care less about my Confederate heritage. A few members fought for the Confederacy but the details are fuzzy. But it is certain at least one went AWOL before the war ended.

Some of my family takes takes at least a small measure of pride in the service of those men but it makes me uncomfortable for obvious reasons.

betsy said...

The grave sites are beautiful. What a sad time in American history.