08 March 2010

Juno Awards, eh!


Bike to Brunch at Poogan's Porch, Queen St., Charleston, S.C.

Photo unrelated to entry as usual. I came back just to let y'all know that my niece Alexei and her husband Dan Boeckner have been nominated for Canada's highest musical honor, the Juno Award. Excitement abounds, my friends.

Alternative Album of the Year; Face Control - Handsome Furs
“This band is completely based, aesthetically and otherwise, on travelling, on absorbing places and regurgitating them in music,” says Handsome Furs’ Dan Boeckner. FACE CONTROL, the second album by the MontrĂ©al band, draws inspiration from Eastern Europe and re-maps Eastern Bloc surveillance state themes to contemporary life and the irony of our slow acceptance and embrace of self-monitoring, through blogs and Facebooks and MySpaces and credit/debit accounts and surveillance cameras and GPS devices. The album’s juxtaposition of cold, metronomic, electronic beats, courtesy of Alexei Perry, with the jagged, dissonant and frail, broken or breaking, guitars of Dan Boeckner convey what it is to be a human being at the bottom of the 21st century. And, at the same time, provides the means to opt out. Alexei Perry and Dan Boeckner wrote the songs on FACE CONTROL together. The album was recorded and mixed by Arlen Thompson at Mount Zoomer and was mastered by Harris Newman at Hotel2Tango.

Follow their continuing adventures on CNN.com: Indie Asia on Tour - Episode Three.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your niece! That's amazing!

Waldo Lydecker's Journal said...

Hurraw! The thing I miss most about living at the border is I can't watch CBC and things like The Junos.

Charlestonjoan said...

I've never watched the Junos but I am tremendously proud. If I could sing, I'd be dangerous and they are.

Laura said...

All the best to your niece! I'll be watching...:)

((Hugs))
laura