07 February 2010

National Geographic Traveller Link


King & Broad St., Charleston, S.C.

This made me smile! The National Geographic Travel site lists Charleston Daily Photo as one of their recommended links to find free things to do in Charleston. Coolness abounds my friends!

During the years I lived overseas without TV or English radio, we had two magazines delivered - Time Magazine and National Geographic. We read every article. We read them in bed, read them at the table, read them by kerosene lamps and snuggled up by the coal stove. They are probably still there forty years later. Tipsy mailmen drinking sweet milk tea from thick clear glasses as they played carrom, read and shared them at the Post Office before delivering them to our door.

We had four or five English records for the record player then - Tennessee Ernie Ford and Jim Reeves, so the thin black plastic mini records occasionally included between the pages of the National Geographic magazines were big hits. Something new to listen to! I used to be pretty good at the "Speeches of Winston Churchill" and I bet I can still recite most of "Sounds of the Whales." Heh.

Any link from National Geographic is a happy trip down memory lane for me.

I am off to do my main free and best thing, walk the peninsula.

9 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

You sure are rockin' the blogosphere these days. You go girl.

Lowell said...

How very wonderful! You should be proud!

I also enjoyed your trip down memory lane!

Wow! Your week is starting off with a bang!

Anonymous said...

Joan your da best

Pamela said...

How awesome!!

Julia said...

Congrats!! That is so cool. I loved National Geographic maps and pictures when I was a kid. These days in our own expat world we use its website to teach C all about whales, bees, and nearly anything else that strikes her fancy.

Joe said...

We, your loyal readers, know you are cool. Now NatGeo does too. This is great news to hear.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks folks! This one does tickle me. :)

Brandon said...

it's true! when my girlfriend and i visited last fall, your blog was one of the few that i was constantly looking at for ideas. every time i begin to miss your part of the country, i venture back to your blog. keep it up! :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Brandon. That made me happy :)