06 November 2009

Bollywood Lowcountry Style





Fur Bollywood, Memminger Auditorium, Charleston, S.C.

I put together a monthly column on volunteerism for Island Life newspaper and in return publisher Linda Benedict occasionally includes me in invitations to events that she serves as media sponsor for. Tonight we went to the Pet Helpers annual Fur Ball at Memminger Auditorium. The catch was that this year it was the Fur Bollywood. Fun, eh!?

I had talked to Lily in the hospital mail room and she brought me a bag of chiffon saris and draped me in her wedding necklaces. We stood in the mail room in the midst of the bewildered young men who work in hospital transportation and tried to remember how to wrap a sari.

I thought I was pretty set up with a cheery red chiffon sari until I saw the amazing outfits people came up with for this event. Wow. I was like the village girl at the big city party. These folks were dripping in heavy gold, embroidered silk saris and sequins. Quite an amazing production for a theme event.

I suspect that the closest an actual Indian came to the event, was in dressing me!

All for a good cause though, Here is the link to the Pet Helpers site.
All proceeds from the event fund the Pet Helpers Adoption Center and Spay/Neuter Clinic. Their new facility houses over 250 homeless animals on a daily basis, where they are all medically cared for and given TLC in an open, bright and cheerful environment. All of Pet Helpers animals are kept until adopted.

5 comments:

Gunn said...

FUN and colorful!! looks like a great event-party! :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember you and your red Sari was lovely, we enjoyed performing for everyone it was a fun event for a good cause :D

Charlestonjoan said...

Cool! Which one were you? I didn't take many but I might have a few more pictures.

Island Life Publisher Linda Benedict said...

Joan you are a "Charleston Treasure" your photos are Great! Thanks so much!

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Linda! You found me :))