21 October 2009

Car Free King St. Day


King St., Charleston, S.C.

Check out Charleston Moves blog for the scoop on the upcoming Car Free King St. Day on November 22. Coolness! I took a couple of pictures of King St. after an event and people were hanging out, walking, visiting and enjoying it so much.
Coming on November 22, the stretch of King Street between Calhoun and Broad is to be closed to auto traffic, creating a streetscape reminiscent of earlier days on the City's "Main Street." It's a plan promoted by a coalition of local groups and individuals, with the blessing of Mayor Joseph Riley, according to Charleston Bicycle Chic's Kristin Walker, one of the organizers.
Let's do it. Walk on!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treat to not have to drive on King Street, much as a pedestrian dodging traffic. I am sure it will be fun.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful and lovely shots !!Lovely..Unseen Rajasthan

Frank said...

What a terrific way to get people to walk around and enjoy the shops and restaurants. And it looks like a perfect day weather wise. Nice idea!

Halcyon said...

I like the idea of car free day, although it would be highly impractical here in Jackson.

Looks like a neat street to hang out on.

Toy Camera Play said...

Yes, nice idea in deed. Hope to be there to visit in a couple of weeks for a big photo shoot. Counting down the days! You're making me homesick for my favorite city!

SeƱor Anciano said...

Nice Pictures,
I'm glad I found your blog with really nice picture and useful for some one like me. I really like taking pictures and I recently bought a Nikon coolpix l100 and I'm starting my education and I have blog now and I want your help, helping me to improve in taking nice pictures.

Thanks in Advance

Charlestonjoan said...

Amir - Welcome. Enjoy your new camera!

Toy Camera - It's lovely in Charleston right now, it really is.

Halcyon - Right, you have to have the right street for it. I think this will work nicely.

Frank - It will be like a big party!

Rajasthan - Thank you!

Wildstorm - we are going to have to get you back to Charleston.