27 July 2009

Digging in to a new week


Vanderhorst St., Charleston, S.C.

Vanderhorst & Smith. Through the years this apartment building has been home to countless high energy, late night College of Charleston student festivities. Frisbees flying, beach towels drying, beer cans rolling, lawn chairs left collapsed and rusting in the yard. I suspect there are many happy but vague memories of parties held here.

Hordes of tipsy residents from this property used to leap up to grab the corner of the barely reachable flag flying from my porch. They would give it a hard enough jerk to snap the wooden flagpole and wave it victoriously high as they staggered down the street late at night. How do I know? We recaptured one flag in the wee hours of the morning from a couple of stunned students living in one of those top floor apartments. I finally stopped hanging them at all.

It's an impressive building yet I've always wondered why they painted it this color.

G'night kids. I am just back from a late walk to realize that I left all my weekend chores to do on this Monday night. Blah. How did that happen?