07 June 2009

What's Cookin' in the Churchyard?



Unitarian Churchyard, Charleston, SC

I took a detour through the Unitarian Churchyard on my walk this morning. The wild, overgrown cemetery is one of my favorite places. It is the second oldest church in Charleston and began in 1772.

I was pleased to see that they still appear to offer budget cremation services at the back of the cemetery. I always take a picture of this grill tucked in among the tombstones. I check each time to make sure it is still there and smile knowing everything is in it's place and as it should be.

I'm not ready for my weekend to end. I'm not.

4 comments:

Frank said...

The Wiki history of the church and congregations is very interesting. Charleston has such wonderful, hiatoric buildings and "stories." It is nice to see that you could confirm that the grill is in its place. (Do we even ask what they do with a grill in a cemetery??)

Les said...

This was my absolute favorite cemetary of many in Charleston. I used to take that back alley walkway that took you there. I hadn't the heart to see it after Hugo and soon after that I moved to Va. 10 years later when I came back for a visit, I was glad to see it was regaining some of its overgrown charm.

Charlestonjoan said...

Frank - It does have a fascinating history and rumors of a few hauntings. That grill cracks me up.

Les - Yep, it is wild and untamed again just as it should be. I love it.

Marcheline said...

You make me laugh, Joan Perry. Thank you for that best of gifts!