18 May 2009

What's for dinner?



I am home late after meetings, starving as usual and my cupboards seem bare. I can't really complain since this is what I ate last night. Isn't it gorgeous? It looks like a work of art. Fine, fine foodie art. Fine art and I had to eat it before it melted.

Chef Sean Brock was cooking dinner for a group that had won a dinner party at a charity auction. They set the table on the porch at Thornhill Farms in McClellanville and it was suggested that I might take a few pictures. Yes. I think so. The guests clearly enjoyed their feast, made of all local organic ingredients while I got to watch the hustle and bustle in the kitchen, admire the art work and eat it. I didn't even have to do the dishes. Am I the luckiest person in the world?

Maria Baldwin of Our Local Foods, Inc. joined me as we tasted all of the food. Curious about the other courses? Here and here. Yum and yum.

It was all so fresh and colorful I felt like I was sitting in the garden pulling it up, shaking the dirt off and popping it in my mouth. In fact, the long stringy things in the dessert? Chocolate covered baby carrots.

The whole liquid nitrogen process fascinates me.

Now, what can I eat tonight?

5 comments:

Frank said...

Wow! Speechless.

Halcyon said...

It looks beautiful, but not very filling!

Charlestonjoan said...

Halcyon - they had already had soup, fish and a meat course. I think this was plenty. This is ice cream in the center.

Frank - I know!

Maria said...

It was a magical evening for me, Joan. I loved seeing the artistry of Sean Brock as he celebrated the garden at Thornhill Farm. Thank you for sharing it with your followers!

Charlestonjoan said...

Maria! How nice to hear from you here. That takes me back to a better link for you. How fun to meet you.