26 May 2009

Feeding Time in the Rookery


Magnolia Plantation, Audubon Swamp Walk, Charleston, SC

It's feeding time in the nursery! Find your binoculars and take the Audubon Swamp Walk at Magnolia Plantation. The swamp is alive with activity and noise. About halfway in, you realize that the trees are over-crowded apartment complexes of nesting birds with squawking babies. It is an awesome sight. Sadly my camera lens didn't do it justice but my eyeballs were having a happy feast. Larger version here.

Heck. I ought to get a free annual admission to Magnolia Plantation as much as I promote the place.

Check out the gator laying calmly in his path below. Some of my days have felt like that lately. Walk gingerly. Caution. Caution.

1 comment:

Halcyon said...

Beautiful! I love all the egrets and herons in the first photo. Wonderful shot - but I know what you mean about the camera not always catching things the way you saw them.