12 May 2009

Charleston to Kenya - Part 4


St. Francis School for the Blind, Kenya

I'm pushing my luck showing all these entries from overseas on the Charleston City Photo blog. Hopefully I'll get them posted and move along before the official City Daily folks notice.

On the fourth day we visited the St. Francis School for the Blind. It was a long drive through some of the most beautiful countryside. Lush and green with mountains in the distance. We hadn't needed any sweaters or umbrellas so far although it was still the rainy season.

We walked the campus meeting the kids. They could tell something was up even though they couldn't see us. Most walked the paths in pairs holding hands. They gathered to "hear our voice" and then sang a few songs with incredible harmony. There didn't seem much for them to do and this was one area where I had been sorry I hadn't had more time to order gifts and toys especially for the blind. We did have enough candy to have a treat for each child and I had a few flutes, jump ropes and a tiny wind up music box.

The school had been given a water purification system by Water Missions International so we were able to see it in use and know that at least that was taken care of for these kids.

2 comments:

Judy said...

So extraordinary Joan, thank you for posting all of the wonderful pictures. I have to say, it brought tears to my eyes, just reading about it. I'm glad you put in the photo of the green rolling hills with the birds in the grass. I had no idea of the landscape there. It's beautiful.

joan said...

Jarart - I didn't know how beautiful it would be either. Those were cranes. They were huge!