24 March 2009

Places to Stay


John Rutledge House Inn, Charleston, SC

You can stay here when you come to visit Charleston, but if you do, let me know because I am coming over to snoop around. Isn't it beautiful? All that iron work is a bit more like Savannah than Charleston.

Naturally George Washington stopped by in 1791 for breakfast. I'm beginning to think he stopped everywhere but my house. My claim to fame is that a man from my house was arrested in connection to a murder on Meeting St. that is described in one of the ghosts of Charleston books. I'm probably sleeping in the murderer's room. Boo!

Here is the official scoop:
John Rutledge, one of the fifty-five signers of the U.S. Constitution, built his home in 1763. Now exquisitely restored, it is one of only fifteen homes belonging to those signers to survive - and the only one to now accommodate overnight guests. History records that George Washington called here in 1791. An entry in his diary shows a breakfast with Mrs. Rutledge.

I am late home and starving. Food. Food.

2 comments:

D said...

What a great house and interesting history!
The murderer's room story of your house is a little creepy, but a great story nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

D: It was a little startling to see my house address in a Ghosts book. :)