06 March 2009

Food & Wine Festival



Charleston Food & Wine Festival, McCrady's Dine Around, Charleston, SC

What are they doing in this beehive of activity? Making my perfect dinner that's what. And to think I my ate lunch in a cafeteria today. The weather went from one end of the scale to the other today and so have my dining experiences.

I was invited to pull up a chair at the Charleston Food & Wine Festival Dinner at McCrady's this evening and made free to abandon my seat when there was peak action in the kitchen. What they produced from that tiny kitchen was incredible.

The only thing I could compare the coordinated chaos in that room to - in my more familiar hospital experience, would be the delivery of triplets in surgery, where there is a doctor for every baby and a nurse for every doctor, all the back up personal stand ready to leap into action and a timely is delivery important.

Yum, yum. You might consider this food extravaganza wasted on a non foodie but I licked my plate after each course. Along with Chef Sean Brock, the visiting chefs were Wylie Dufresne from Wd-50, NYC and Johnny Iuzzini, Jean Georges Restaurant, NYC.

I am falling to sleep at the keyboard. G'night, kids. I'll put in links to images of the dishes in the morning but right now I can't tell my Candied Kumquats from my Calamanzi Noodles.

Edit: Here is the City Paper scoop from Stephanie Barna who actually knows what she is talking about :). Link to the evening's food pictures.

5 comments:

Marcel said...

I have been to the South ones, just a short visit. One thing I noticed is that the Southeners like to enjoy life, I feel I am correct on this, it shows in your blog... :)

Charlestonjoan said...

MaCoBra: True, true...and yet everyone I talked to last night had come in from New York and was enjoying the sunshine here.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I wanna be there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Perry this is Warren. i just wanted to say thank you again for the beautiful pictures that you have captured. oh im the asian guy in the picture. hahaha..but thanx again..takecare, hope to see you again..

Charlestonjoan said...

Warren! Wow. What a night. Thanks for letting me hang out in the kitchen with you food magicians :))