21 March 2009

Best grilled cheese


Plymouth Ave., Riverland Terrace, Charleston, SC

I've featured pictures of Charleston's pyramid, now here is a peak at our lowcountry windmill. It fascinates me that this odd piece of the Netherlands has found a home between the fire station and the boat landing at Plymouth Park.

What makes the perfect grilled cheese sandwich? Here are 71 suggestions.

Googling Best Grilled Cheese brings up 2,160,000 sites.

The best I am aware of around here is the Ultimate Grilled Cheese at Sesame Burgers & Beer on Spruill Ave. described as:

Ultimate grilled cheese with Tillamook cheddar, brie, fontina, tomatoes and garlic aioli on sourdough. $5.95

Yummers. I always use real butter, a couple kinds of cheese if I can. A light spread of mustard on one slice and mayonnaise on the other. I'm not opposed to a slice of tomato. Can't be beat really.

Now, what else can I do to keep from doing my taxes?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mayo and mustard on a grilled cheese sandwich? This is just soooo wrong! (Haven't tried Sesame's grilled cheese yet - does it have mayo and mustard on it? I'm curious - I have never heard of that before). As for the tomato, I'm in on that though!

Anonymous said...

So, Joan, what's your version? Dale in Atlanta

Anonymous said...

Pam...try it! Just a wee thin layer. Good mustard.

Dale: Muenster and cheddar, that's usually what I have handy. I love the tomato slice so it melts through. Yum.

Halcyon said...

Leave the mayonnaise out for me, but I do like a few sliced pickles!