01 February 2009

Paths & Passageways


Philadelphia Alley, Charleston, SC

I am learning my way around the Daily Photo community. Each month a theme day topic is announced and participants from all over the globe are encouraged to submit related pictures from their town. The theme for February is Paths & Passageways.

The little alleyways around Charleston are favorites of mine so my first theme day entry is of Philadelphia Alley, the shady pathway between Queen and Cumberland.

Philadelphia Alley
Originally named “Cow Alley” then renamed to “Philadelphia Street” and later changed to “Philadelphia Alley.” Originally named Kinloch Court but in 1810 changed to Philadelphia by William Johnson who owned much of the property in the vicinity. He had been sent to Philadelphia as a prisoner during Revolutionary War and named the street in admiration of Philadelphia.

I'm thinking his prison experience wasn't too bad if he came home and named a street after it.

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

17 comments:

Judy said...

This is a lovely path, too pretty to be called an alley.

Anonymous said...

I really like this photo and the story behind it.

my Memories
I wrote in my Memories blog about the roads of my youth and how they were to travel in the winter time.

Doug said...

Passages are plentiful here, but the ones I see most often are outside the Toucan :-)

Anonymous said...

I love this one...the light is incredible

Anonymous said...

I need to come down to Charleston one day and pay you a visit so you can show me some of these little hidden jewel areas that I seem to miss on every visit! :)

Excellent scene you captured!!

Jilly said...

This is beautiful. Gorgeous soft pink on the wall, those lovely cobbles, all that green. Idyllic and such a lovely choice for today's theme.

becomingkate said...

I love the cobblestones too...and the ferns, which I have never seen in an alley before.

Kitty said...

Hi Joan, thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I have had a nice time browsing through yours ... the photos are gorgeous. Charleston is a place I would love to visit one day. :-)

slim said...

I would never have guessed that this was in Charleston . . . makes me want to go there and visit. What an interesting shaped doorway.

Charlestonjoan said...

slim: of course - you must visit Charleston. We have all kinds of secrets here.

Kitty: Thanks for dropping by. It's been a pleasure seeing all the pictures from different cities.

becomingkate: It is such a shady spot. Unusual for here as well.

Jilly, burstmode, jarart, Abraham: Thank you!

Macroartinnature: I am such a fan of yours any compliment from you leaves me smiling.

Hilda said...

What a beautiful, shady pathway! And I love that doorway too. Happy Theme Day!

Gerald (SK14) said...

what a fascinating alley

Ken said...

A very pretty alley. I like the story.

Anonymous said...

Quite a mysterious passage...a colorful history of the name too. Happy theme day!

Anonymous said...

Always liked this photo, it is mysterious and quaint. Sally

abc said...

What a charming alley and a great shot of it.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks folks! How lovely to come home to all these comments.