02 January 2009

New Year's Pig Pickin'


Wadmalaw Island, SC

One of the pigs raised on Chef Sean Brock's Wadmalaw farm was the center of attention at a gathering to bring in the New Year last night and I was lucky enough to be invited. Woo hoo! There was even a cake in poor piggie's honor.

We drove up at sunset to find two huge bonfires, kids sailing through the sky and tables overflowing with food and drink. They had built a smoker for the occasion and I was just in time to watch them lift the pig out and onto the flat bed of a truck. Hungry helpers stood around with spotlights and kids climbed up on the truck waiting for tasty scraps to be tossed in their direction. What a fun feast. For a happy finale, nothing says Happy New Year in South Carolina like shooting a couple of propane tanks in a farm field.

The rest of the pork sacrificed for the occasion is safely tucked away in the freezer at McCrady's restaurant waiting to be served in a slightly more formal manner. More photos here.

13 comments:

Roz said...

We use to do that on the 4th of July. All of the family would get together down at my father-in-laws lake. I really can't say that I like that kind of pork, put there was lots of other good things to eat.
Roz

Anonymous said...

It was toooo good though. I bet even you would have liked this.

Anonymous said...

Oh now I am hungry!

Catalyst said...

Oh. My. God.

I want to be there!

Great pictures, Joan.

GirlBlogger said...

Mmmm, Mmmm, Mouthwatering!

Looks fun. Happy 2009 Joan,

BethanyC

imabug said...

gee, you get invited to all the cool parties. i think i need to hang out with you more :)

Jilly said...

Oh my goodness, super photo but enough to make everyone a vegetarian!

Commander Zaius said...

We did the same thing for years down in Georgetown on Christmas Eve. After the kiddies (my younger cousins) were put to bed Santa would show up for some BBQ instead of cookies.

Anonymous said...

Ah, it can't get better than this!

Anonymous said...

Yum!

Anonymous said...

Pam: Yum indeed! Happy New Year to you.
Wildstorm: Amen.
Beachbum: Better than cookies no doubt!
Jilly: I know. This was not for vegetarians. My daughter is one so that ran through my mind.
imabug: I know! Can you believe my luck!
Catalyst: Glad you found me. Happy New Year to you.
dkpark: It was delicious :).

David Heiser said...

Joan, I am super jealous. I wish I would have been back in town in time for that. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

David - I was hoping to see you there! Sorry you missed it. Happy New Year to you.