27 December 2008

Pinkies Out


This misty morning. King St., Charleston, SC

I'm a tea drinker from a long line of tea drinkers. I apologize to my dental hygienist for steeping my teeth in black tea all year and make her earn her keep. I'm not a connoisseur. I happily drink gallons of Lipton tea from a chipped black Pirate mug. When I dash into the Terrace Theater for my Friday matinee, Mike, the owner nods to his staff behind the counter, "Hot Tea. Black. Earl Grey!"

People are finally catching on to the fact that I only drink black tea and I got a good haul this holiday season. I'm drinking Pure Ceylon English Breakfast this morning and have bags of loose leaf Assam and China Gunpowder to follow. Every once and while my sister Barbra tracks down a bag of Meghalaya Tea from the hills in India where we grew up. It has been so hard for folks to resist giving me herbal, floral, fruity teas that this entry by Denise at Uniquely Tea had me cracking up.

This is a monologue from George Carlin's book When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?

Fruit-flavored Teas
"I would like to talk to you about fruit-flavored teas. These would be teas that are flavored like fruit. Fruit-flavored teas. You need to understand that. These are not fruits. They’re teas.

But they taste like fruit. All right? They have names like strawberry kiwi, lemon berry, orange mango, wild cherry, blackberry and cranberry. They taste like fruit. And they sound like fruits, too, don’t they? They’re not. They’re teas. Fruit-flavored teas. And frankly, I don’t understand this.

Personally, I’ve always been of a mind that if you’re looking for fruit flavor, if you’re genuinely interested in something that tastes like fruit, and you find yourself in the tea section, you’re probably in the wrong aisle.

My advice is, if it’s fruit flavor you’re after, play if safe, go ahead and get some fruit. I have found in my experience that fruit almost always turns out to be reliable source of fruit flavor.

Another good place you may wish to look for fruit flavor would be in fruit juice. Fruit juice is made by squeezing the juice out of the fruit. Apparently, the juice that runs out of the fruit has fruit flavor. Perhaps that’s why they call if fruit juice. It doesn’t taste like tea. For tea taste, you would need to get some tea.

So let’s sum this up: If it’s fruit flavor you want, you can’t go wrong with fruit. Or, as I’ve pointed out, fruit juice. Don’t be ordering tea. Tea has tea flavor. It’s not like fruit. It’s more like tea. If you want tea, I say order tea. That’s a different experience. It’s known as “having tea.”

Have you noticed, by the way, there are no tea-flavored fruits? Take a clue from nature.”

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried tea when I was a kid - my dad is a huge tea conoussier - however that's speeeeled - I just never could get a taste for it. I kinda like sun tea - not bad, but I'm a total coffee drinker.
That pic looks something akin to Downtown Disneyland in California.

Anonymous said...

It does look a bit like Disney doesn't it? And this isn't even the most fashionable stretch although it is an up and coming area. Here the buildings are the real things though.

The only time I like coffee is in a restaurant after a meal to drag the evening on.

Anonymous said...

So - when they are building new structures in that area, do they continue to build with the same pictured themes that have dominated in most of the pics you take of that area? Just curious. Only in recent times have the architects here decided that plain fronted buildings aren't the wave of the future and have started adding intereting designs, posts and other things to the fronts of any buildings being constructed. I guess I should carry my camera with me more often and take some pics of such structures.

Anonymous said...

I love tea, too - one of my older sisters is an expert tea-steeper and only does it "just like the Queen of England". I remember once being in a restaurant with her and the waitress asked her what sort of tea she would like..."we have peppermint and orange spice." My sister looked at her cooly and said "I said TEA, not herbal infusion."

Charlestonjoan said...

Anon - I believe Charleston has the largest historic district in the country. Within certain boundaries all new construction has to be approved so it will fit. I have to get permission to change anything on the outside of my house. It can be a nuisance but makes sense. We also have a height restriction so buildings can't be built to overshadow the old ones.

roux8 - I am exactly like your sister! Heh. I drank peppermint tea when I was pregnant but not since then.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...and George: Tea needs to taste like tea. Period!

Reminds me of the time I was in a restaurant and a lady came to our table and asked if I would like to try (for free) a new beer they were testing. It was blueberry beer. As politely as I could I told her beer should NOT taste like blueberries. Nor should tea. :)

S

Hilda said...

This post had me cracking up! Thanks for sharing that hilarious quote. Wish I could share your love for black tea, but I'm a coffee drinker myself.

I love the colorful buildings on this street! Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

low - I was talked into raspberry beer once. Ugh. Almost got sick and it turned me off beer for a long time.

Hilda - Wasn't it funny? I almost want to order the book now.

Charleston does have some beautiful streets. More to come.

Anonymous said...

Hello Joan and a belated Happy Christmas! I've clicked on your blog url every day hoping you would be back online soon. Thanks for sharing the temporary url. Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

Denise - I loved that entry! I am glad you found me. I'm still hoping journalspace will return and will try to keep them both up. This one will just be the Charleston city pictures. All the travel and nonsense I put on Walk this Way wouldn't fit here anyway.

Anonymous said...

I have tried so many times to drink variations of all the herbal fruit teas. I try this one and that one and I never really like any of them. I am from the south - black iced tea lots of sugar please. Although I do like Starbuck's passion fruit ice tea...

Anonymous said...

Hey Joan
My good friend has a tea room/cafe and I am always amazed when people want mint tea or indeed any variation on that theme. She has £4000 espresso machine, makes probably the best coffee in Yorkshire, does she do decaf? What!

Julie said...

Your town looks quite gorgeous. I like this street very much and it is made even more gorgeous by the fog. Interesting what you and Anonymous say about heritage building. I do not like the past to disappear even though it is a burden upon the current owner.

I drink tea every so often. I like the name "Chinese Gunpowder"! Any idea why ...

Anonymous said...

Julie - I haven't tried the Gunpowder yet but this is what I learned about the name: "It is believed to take its English name from the fact that the tea resembles gunpowder pellets used for cannons."

Anonymous said...

dkpark - I can drink my ice tea unsweetened now. I am saving my sugar calories for the important things - like pralines.

Yorkshire - I can drink a cup of coffee in bed and roll over and go to sleep. Caffeine doesn't seem to keep me up.