18 January 2010

Shell House


Shell House, Ashley Hall, Rutledge Ave., Charleston, S.C.

I googled for more information on the Shell Cottage at Ashley Hall and discovered that Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN reporter got married there and was featured in In Style Weddings. Check this out. How cool is that! I've been watching him endlessly as he reports in this disaster in Haiti. Dr. Gupta is scheduled to be in Charleston as the presenter at the Roper St. Francis Healthcare gala on Saturday but I suspect he may be preoccupied with more important business.

More photos on this blog: Accidental Mysteries and the history of the neat little cottage here.

6 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

What a charming location for a wedding. Nice shot.

Susan Moorhead said...

Beautiful little house. I've been watching his coverage on Haiti also, I was impressed that he stayed there overnight when they evacuated the doctors - good man.

Charlestonjoan said...

bfarr - Thanks!

Susan - I watched that segment. What a dreadful business.

Liz said...

I graduated from Ashley Hall and they use the Shell House as the seniors' lounge. The yard around it is for seniors and faculty only, although hardly any faculty walk on it unless they are talking to seniors. Any student needs senior-permission to walk on it. The house is cozy and has couches/chairs, a refrigerator and microwave. Perfect place to kick back between classes. Loved it!

Frank said...

The shell house history is fascinating. I can just imagine the owner telling the builder exactly what he wanted it to look like. That had to be a fun conversation.

The Gupta wedding was amazing.

Charlestonjoan said...

Elizabeth - Thanks for the first hand report! I love the idea that it is a senior lounge.

Frank - I had no idea that Dr. Gupta was married here. I live just a few blocks away. You'd think he would have called.