31 minutes ago
Youth Service Day: Locally, more than 600 young people participate in Tricounty Youth Service Day in Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties in the South Carolina lowcountry.
Young people can be great assets and resources to their communities, providing unique perspectives and skills while becoming better students and more productive citizens.
TYSD is a great opportunity to recruit the next generation of volunteers, to educate the public about the year-round contributions of young people as community leaders, and to mobilize youth to identify, address and take ownership in the solutions to local needs through service.
Charleston Historic Firehouses: Station 6, 5 Cannon Street. Built 1887-88. The third fire station built after the 1886 earthquake was a new Station 6. It replaced the former Marion Steam Fire Engine Company just down the block. Each of the three stations had a Silsby boiler on the first floor, for both heating and keeping hot water circulating at all times in the steamer. Like the Meeting Street station, this building also featured a watch tower in the rear.
History: In the late 1940's, shortly after the church was reopened, a group of women often spent all day cleaning and preparing the church for worship services. They had their lunch on the lawn, and soon began to share their lunches with tourists who stopped to see the old church. Because there were no restaurants in the area at that time, and as a way of raising funds for renovation, the ladies began selling coffee, lemonade, and sandwiches to tourists. Thus the Saint Andrew's Tea Room was born. Today waitresses are dressed in late 18th century costumes and serve a full lunch in the Parish Hall. A full gift shop is available and tours of the historic church are available.
120 Years later, church gets steeple: CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) – The mother Church for the Diocese of Charleston finally has its steeple. On Monday, the new steeple was raised at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Broad Street, more than 120 years after the cornerstone was laid…